Guilt-Free Breakfast Cookies
Cookies for breakfast! Or anytime 😊 So simple and healthy. Also a very forgiving recipe- hard to mess up! I have seen similar recipes with only bananas and oats, but I like adding in a few extra things for flavor. Customize the way you prefer.
A tip- these cookies not only freeze well, I actually like eating them semi-frozen (strange, I know)! Great on a hot day.
Makes about 40 regular size cookies
- 5 cups oats
- ¼ tsp salt (optional)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 4 very ripe bananas
- 6 tbsp almond butter (or other nut butter)
- 2 tbsp ground flax meal mixed with 3 tbsp water (optional, but helps with binding)
- 1 tsp vanilla (optional)
- Optional 1 to 2 tbsp date sugar
- Optional add-ins include up to 1/2 cup of: vegan chocolate chunks/chips, cacao nibs*, nuts, raisins, other dried fruit, etc. I used a few of tablespoons of vegan dark chocolate and cacao nibs this time.
*Note: Cacao nibs are crushed cacao beans. They are like nature’s chocolate chips without sugar or artificial flavors added. They are rich, flavorful, and have a decent amount of nutrients, fiber, and protein. Very good for adding to cookies, topping smoothies, or in oatmeal. Be aware though, they can be a little too bitter for some people (especially those that don’t like dark chocolate), and a little goes a long way.
- Preheat oven to 375 F, and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the oats to a food processor and pulse briefly a few times. You want some oat flour, but you also want some larger pieces for texture.
- Put the partially ground oats into a large bowl, and mix in the baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Put the ripe bananas to the food processer, and blend until smooth.
- Add the almond butter, flax/water mixture, and vanilla to the bananas, and blend until well mixed.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the oat mixture, and mix everything together.
7. Mix in any optional add-ins.
8. Scoop the dough onto the parchment paper using a cookie scoop or a spoon, and flatten each cookie slightly so they aren’t too rounded. You will probably have to make a couple of rounds of cookies if they won’t all fit on the cookie sheet.
9. Bake for 13 minutes, and let cool before eating. These cookies are great for on-the-go!