Healthy Whole Wheat, Low Sugar, No Oil Added, Pumpkin Muffins
These muffins have great texture, with no added oil, eggs, or dairy! They are also made with whole wheat flour, and are low in added sugar, and can be adjusted for your sweetness preference.
Ingredients for 36 mini muffins or 12 regular muffins:
- 1 flax “egg” (1 tbsp ground flax mixed with 3 tbsp water)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (can sub oat or other gf flour)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp ginger
- Dry sweetener(s) equivalent to around 3 to 4 tbsp brown sugar (I used 1 tbsp brown sugar and 3 stevia packets, adjust to your preference)
- 1 cup + 3 tbsp pumpkin
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ cup + 3 tbsp dairy-free milk (divided)
- 3 tbsp cashew butter (other nut butters should work too- I love the neutral taste of cashew butter though!)
Preheat oven to 350F, and lightly oil the muffin tins, or line the tins with cupcake liners.
In a small bowl, make the flax egg by mixing the flax seed and water together and then set it aside to thicken.
Add all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
In a small microwaveable bowl, add the 3 tbsp dairy-free milk and cashew butter. Microwave for about 20 – 30 seconds and whisk together until well mixed.
In a separate bowl, mix all the wet ingredients together (cashew butter mixture, flax egg, milk, pumpkin, and maple syrup).
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together, and add more dry sweetener to taste if desired.
Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tins and bake for 11-13 minutes for mini muffin tins, or 18-20 minutes for regular muffin tins. Let cool and enjoy!