African Sweet Potato Peanut Stew
This recipe is similar to the African Vegetables recipe, but in stew form with even more peanut flavor! It is savory and sweet. As always, the spices can be altered to taste. Cilantro and peanut are optional for topping. This recipe is based on one from The Vegan Table cookbook, a wonderful vegan resource!
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 2 large chopped sweet potato (½ inch cubes)
- 15 oz can drained and rinsed beans of choice (chickpeas, kidney beans, black beans, etc.)
- 14 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- 1 sliced zucchini
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp fresh minced or ½ tsp ground ginger
- Dash ground cayenne pepper (up to ½ tsp)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 5 cups water or vegetable broth
- ¾ cup peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- Fresh chopped cilantro (optional for topping)
- ½ cup roasted peanuts (optional for topping)
- Combine all ingredients (sans toppings) in a slow cooker and gently mix together.
- Cover and cook until sweet potatoes are tender (high for 4 to 5 hours or low for 7 to 8 hours)
- Add optional toppings and enjoy this flavorful peanut butter stew!