Another of Todd’s favorites! I have been making this dish for years, and he always loves it. It is very simple and versatile. This has been adapted from VegWeb’s Southwest Sweet Potato Chickpea Delight recipe. I left out the vegan cheese from this recipe all together, because there is very little to no nutritional benefits from cheese (vegan or otherwise), and it tastes great without any.
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 2 chopped sweet potatoes (peeled if desired, but peels have nutrients and fiber!)
- ½ cup corn kernels (optional)
- 15 oz can of chickpeas
- 1 16 oz jar of salsa (the type will determine how spicy it is)
- 1 to 1.5 cups of crushed tortilla chips (I try to use Leal’s brand because they don’t use much oil or salt)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp chile powder
- 1 tsp red chile flakes (optional)
- Other optional add-ins could include chopped mushrooms, cooked brown rice, chopped bell pepper, jalapeños, lime juice, nutritional yeast, cilantro (topping), avocado (topping), etc.
Preheat oven to 400 F
Place all ingredients (except cilantro) in a large bowl and mix well
Transfer mixture to a glass casserole dish and cover with foil
Bake for around 55 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are easily pierced.
Add cilantro or avocado if you want to, and enjoy!